01 November 2011

You're Complaining to the Wrong Person

Is the American dream to go to college? Is it to be better off than our parents? Or is it just to perform the act of going to college so you can have a degree in whatever suits your fancy and then waiting for society to clap you on the back and start handing you paychecks?

When I was finishing high school we all received an interesting piece of paper that listed the average starting salaries for various college majors. Being a nerdy math nerd and very much wanting to be an engineer I was pleased that engineering degrees equaled pretty sweet starting salaries. Also, being a nerdy math nerd, I didn't spend a whole lot of time thinking about those liberal arts college majors that yielded careers with less than half the starting salary. I was thinking, of course, more about buying cool stereos and fast cars with the shiny new job my degree would get me. But, as it happens, the same job that did, indeed, bring cool stereos and fast cars (and, coincidentally, one fast car with a very cool stereo) also enabled me to do crazy things like support a wife and kids and pay the light bill (as my parents called it).

Now I see this on the Internet:

Are you really going to complain to those of us with common sense, or really just sense enough to realize that a degree in Classical Studies with a minor in Latin is the facial tattoo of college degrees? It all but guarantees you won't ever pay federal taxes because you'll never earn enough money to have to pay them.

The American nightmare isn't people unable to find a job with a degree in Classical Studies. It's society not informing our youth that your job prospects will be nearly zero if one has a degree in Classical Studies. Remember all those horrible TV shows where the mean parents told their kids that they won't amount to anything with an art degree. Well, what they really meant is that you can still be a great wife and a great mom, but you're going to have to do it on a minimum wage budget. And that will suck.

By the way, I went to high school with liberals. Near as I can tell they're still liberals and they voted for Obama. Career choices? Doctors, nurses, lawyers and engineers. And still some of the most creative and wonderful people I have had the honor of knowing.

No comments: