10 March 2013

Memory and Discovery

Years ago, in my college and near-post-college days I had an epic CD collection (500+).  I admit that many titles I bought just because I thought I was supposed to have them in my collection.  Some of those were actually quite terrible and have long since been purged.  Others I finally got around to listening to and made a pleasant discovery: they were very good!


In the West by Silkworm is the best example.  I bought In the West on the recommendation of a friend.  It had a cool cover and it was a supposedly cool indie band, so I figured what the heck.  I think it sat on my CD rack for a good two years before I ever popped in for a listen.  Finally one day I did and I became an instant Silkworm fan.  It quickly earned a spot on my Desert Island 5 list.

I recently upgraded my iPhone 4 to the new iPhone 5.  One of my main reasons for doing so was to get more memory.  At 32GB, I couldn't sync my entire music library and if I wanted a movie or two for a long flight, I really had to do some rearranging.  At 64GB on the iPhone 5 I can sync all my music and currently have 13 movies and room to spare.  All of which led to the following event:


At the end of a long day the kids were being noisy and I needed some relief (see previous post on misophonia for further explanation).  I grabbed my headphones and went to the music app and scrolled to the noisiest album I saw.  And I happened upon Bosozoku by Thirty Ought Six. I didn't remember much about the album except it was noisy.  But Bosozoku isn't just noise.  It's a wonderful example of Portland '90s music.  Sort of melodic punk.  I think I've listened to it ten times since that noisy day.  A discovery made possible by more memory, because without it I would never have synced the album to my phone.

Here's a great track from Bosozoku "Huck."  Now go and buy it!





No comments: